Today we’ll show you how to roast yerba mate at home in your own oven.
Ever try roasted mate? If you haven’t, oh man…, you’re missing out on some real deliciousness. Roasted mate tastes a bit like dark roasted coffee. It’s super rich and bold, with subtle caramel tones. Give it a shot. We used organic mission mate for this video. Our Night Walker blend is our first release of roasted yerba mate.
Step by Step: How to Roast Yerba Mate Tea
What you’ll need:
- Large baking tray
- Quarter-pound loose leaf yerba mate
- Preheated oven: 375ºF
- Spread mate evenly across baking tray.
- Place on lowest rack.
- Stir every 2–3 minutes to roast evenly.
Yerba Mate Roasting Types
- Light roast: 8 minutes
- Medium roast: 13–15 minutes
- Dark roast: 18–20 minutes
*times may vary depending on oven type.